I too was in the 1981 NCAA II West Regional.  My experience was
less pleasant than Ray's.  My Cal State Northridge teammates went
13-14-16-17, but then had a huge gap back to me (sick, 65th) and our other
two teammates (one sick, one injured).  We placed 4th by a few points, but
only 3 were auto qualifiers and we did NOT get an at-large bid although the
three teams ahead of us wound up in the top six or seven at nationals.  We
were pretty pissed.
        I also raced there earlier in the season, so we could get a look at
the course.  My first race there was much less than fun as I lost a contact
lens before the race and had to run nearly blind.  Anyone who's raced that
course would attest to how difficult the footing is if you can't see it.
        So, I guess my impressions of Crystal Springs have more to do with
being blind or sick than with the actual course.  I can't say I miss
running on it.

Mike Trujillo, Angeleno-in-exile
Asst. Girl's Track & Field Coach
Davenport (Iowa) Central HS