Phil said:

>Biggest happy surprise: Gold and Silver in Men's PV. And I thought the
>USA had been  screwed out of a medal when Hartwig blew the trials.

Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this.  After
Hartwig's failure, there was a loud chorus of (mostly British) voices on the
list going on and on about how awful the US trials system was and how it had
cost the US a sure PV medal, etc, etc.  But not so.  The guys who had what
it takes in the trials came through in the games as well.  You can't ask for
much better than gold and silver, Hartwig or no Hartwig.  In this event at
least, the US selection system was vindicated.

Kurt Bray