> Also with regard to Carl not having to race "top notch" sprinters. I
> disagree -- Calvin Smith was a force, Linford Christie came on in the late
> 80's. Kirk Baptiste and others were around, too, including the footballers
> like Ron Brown.

And isn't the 1991 WC final still one of the top two or three races of
all-time in terms of depth?

I'm not sure how to compare Lewis to Owens and one or two others from
earlier eras - the opportunities to have a long career were very limited.
But there has been no one in the past 25 years who has really been close
(unless you count Michael Johnson).  I'd rank Greene and Christie as the
best of the rest during that time period, with Donovan Bailey next.
Fredericks and Boldon have been consistent, but have never won the big one,
and winning has got to be weighted a lot heavier than 2nd place.

- Ed Parrot