I would have to agree with Kebba on this one, Carl was the man  and had plenty of
competiton even here in the US form the likes of Marsh, Burrell, Mitchell etc.  And
have we forgotten that Carl won the deepest 100 final ever CL - 9.86, LB - 9.88, DM -
9.91 and I believe that 7th place was 9.99 and 8th - 10.?

>>> "Kebba Tolbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/16/00 06:39PM >>>
>Ben got caught .. And in the process his best years were taken away .. And
>even if I had considered those I probably wouldn't have placed him in this
>group of 5 as he only had 2 great years .. Ran 2 great times / races .. And
>won only 2 medals of any sort ..
>
>Conway Hill
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

That's actually not true.. he got Bronze in 84. He also had a very good 85
and 86. He was ranked by T&FN
1984 - #4
1985 -- #2
1986 -- #1
1987 -- #1
1988 -- would've been number 1 -- although he had a shaky August after his
injury.
Also with regard to Carl not having to race "top notch" sprinters. I
disagree -- Calvin Smith was a force, Linford Christie came on in the late
80's. Kirk Baptiste and others were around, too, including the footballers
like Ron Brown.

I'd also say that Carl's best years of dominance would be longer than 81-84.
more like 81-90. Here are his T&FN world ranking positions

80 - 7
81 - 1
82 - 1
83 - 1
84 - 1
85 - 1
86 - 3 (i think he had knee surgery this yr?)
87 - 2 (Ben ran 9.83)
88 - 1
89 - 2
90 - 2