WOW!!!
A handful of  frosh and soph athletes made quite a splash at this weekend's
pre-NCAA XC invite held in Ames, Iowa this past Saturday.

In the men's race, CO soph, Jorge Torres  won by 17 SECONDS  as soph
teamate, Steve Slattery nailed down 6th, holding off number one frosh
finisher, Louie Luchini, (Stanford) in 8th and Gtown soph, Mike Smith in
9th.

On the distaff side, Shalane Flanagan (NC) nabbed a 3rd place popsicle stick
behind senior winner Kara Wheeler, and just ahead of  Amy Motimer (KSU soph)
in 4th with, Tuula Laitnen (Toledo frosh) in 5th??? (who she be?  another
flying Finn?)

Regardless, the collegiate XC season is off with a bang and I typically dig
checkin on the frosh/soph transition from high school...it often tells a
story about our new distance talent developments to be.

Mike Fanelli