In a message dated Thu, 30 Nov 2000  3:51:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I fail to see how music would detract from a track meet. It's hard to
imagine
a pro sport in the US without the music, cheerleaders, scoreboard games, etc.
to keep our interest although I do remember a time when it didn't exist.. >>

Pro sports aren't as dependent upon a live announcer as are track meets.
Music can (and from personal experience, i can tell you, HAS) detract from
meets when there's a time that valuable information should be being imparted
to the crowd, but the entertainment director has decided that the crowd
instead needs the day's 527th iteration of Louie-Louie.

And, as a guy who lives in a pro sports city and regularly goes to NHL, MLB,
NFL and NBA games, while music doesn't detract from the game itself, it's a
bitch when you want to turn and talk to your seatmate and have to learn sign
languange for "how many beers do you want?" during what is supposed to be a
lull in the action. This from a guy whose car stereo amp goes to 11 (Spinal
Tap humor) and plays nonstop Metallica. It's fine to deafen yourself, but
leave innocents out of it.

gh