Last Saturday (Dec 9) there was a meet in El Paso called Borderland Fall
Classic (I think). Does anybody on the list have the full results or
know where to find them on the web? They were not posted at UTEP:s home
page yesterday. Or did some other school organize the meet?

On another note. I've read some of the East Germany postings. Without
taking any stand in the doping matter, I must admit that the East
Germans had some great coaches. I worked as interpreter for Edwin
Tepper, the former East German head coach for women's sprints. He held a
two day lecture and seminar in Stockholm and he really knew what he was
talking about. Well informed of other coaches' work, and a person who
could mix theory and practics.

As one former post mentioned. You don't only have to know your medicine,
you also have to know your coaching skills! The East Germans were in the
forefront of doping, but not far ahead of others (including the US).
They simply added this to a very efficient total system when it came to
creating top class athletes. (Talent search before the age of 7-8,
starting with sports classes early, 16 centres for top level T&F where
the athletes went at the age 14-16, school support, help to find work
after the career, housing, over 500 fully employed coaches etc!)

And why so much better results with the women? Answer: Lower level of
world wide competition, higher level of doping among the men in other
countries, plus that women's sports was an underdeveloped areas when
they started their "project" of scientific training for women with the
likes of Renate Stecher, Margitta Gummel and others in the late 1960's.

(An interesting book on the subject is Brigitte Berendonk's "Doping"
where she has gone deep into the East German files and archives in the
early 1990's. I'm not sure of the English title, since I read it in
German. But it should be translated, since it's available in Swedish.

Mats Åkerlind

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"