-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Conway
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 5:37 PM
To: Uri Goldbourt, PhD; T-AND-F@lists. uoregon. edu
Subject: Re: t-and-f: How good was a 10.07 100m in 1972.

Uri wrote:

> The time of 10.07 seconds by Borzov in Munich (I saw that race in person)
> came against a background of no previous faster time for the 100m, except
at
> the heights of Mexico City in 1968. Hart's and Robinson's hand timed 9.9
> (or RR Smith's in 1968) were intrinsically slower.

Actually Hines ran an auto timed 10.03 in his Sacramento race in 68 .. And
Hayes auto time in Tokyo was 10.05 .. None the less Borzov's 10.07 placed
him right at the mark with the best of his time .. And even today, there are
only a hand full of sprinters that can say they can step on the track with
confidence and run faster .. 10.07 made this year's American sprint squad
for the games !!! And 10.07 would have placed 4th and just out of the money
at this year's games .. A quarter century later ..

Conway Hill