In a message dated 1/25/01 8:58:47 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< At least we were only stuck with one year (as I recall)  with one of the
great abominations ever, the 4-turn stagger in the 800 back in the mid-'70s.

When the first synthetic track was installed in Downing Stadium on NY's
Randalls Island, a well-meaning (but mis-informed) NY City employee lined the
track so that you could run the 4x400 in lanes all the way! The lead-off
runner in lane 8 would have started  halfway down the backstretch(at least).
Come to think of it, that might have made for some exciting finishes if the
teams were evenly matched.

Walt Murphy