From: "The Barretts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 1:32 PM
Subject: t-and-f: re: Etiquette vs. Rules

At the Big 10 indoors in '87 or so, Scott Fry ran 14:00 for 5k.
Lapped runners were yanked by the officials. Including those
on 14:40 pace! Not a large finishers list in that one. Seemed
a bit harsh, but also seems wrong to force the fastest to slow
down to deal with the slower. As someone said, "robbed" Riley of
a sub 4. (Of course that's something any high schooler can do now :)
Not sure if they still do that,
but hey, the Big 10 conference is, by _far_ the premier conference
in the universe, so if they do it, it's the right thing :)

Regarding relay splits: The Sac State track has (had?) the best
setup I've seen for relay spectating/officiating, and an easy
solution at that: different colored track in the relay zones (4x1).
Is that too expensive or confusing or something? Seemed like
a dandy idea.

IU '85,

Richard