last weekend I re-watched the coverage from this past Olympics .. And I
noticed that while the John Capel non call for a false start was the most
glaring, there were several problems (as noted by the announcers) with
recalls/non recalls during the course of the competition .. Why the reliance
on the "beep" when there are still a starter and recall starter on the track
?? Why not get rid of the "beep" altogether since it just seems to get in
the way of the starters doing their jobs ??

And while I remember the 1 false start rule for college being instituted
somewhere around the late 70's as a result of "too many false starts slowing
down track meets" .. Does it make sense since on the world scene it does not
apply ?? And unfortunately the high schools later followed suit with the
colleges :o( ......

Conway Hill