I heard yesterday that USATF had set it's standards for 2001 and didn't believe it.  I had looked for them recently I thought. The more alarming part I heard was that the standards have to be made after May 1, 2001. I had already planned by season on not having to run a 10k this year until nationals.

So, I did some research and the standards have been set. Marks have to have been made after May 5th of last year.  Does anyone know the rational behind this?  Why May 5?  It seems like a more rational way would be to say marks have to have been made outdoors starting last year.

I guess I'm just bitter. (My time came 2 weeks earlier) But is there any exception to the rule?  I heard they were making exceptions for certain people to try and qualify for this year's world champs marathon by extending the deadline when they had told others there would be no exceptions (which is a bit alarming).  So I guess if USATF doesn't want to follow it's rules, I'll take advantage if possible.

-Weldon Johnson