> There is more to cross country than a long race on bumpy ground!
> John
>
> UHH . . . NO THERE ISN'T!!!  THAT'S WHAT CROSS COUNTRY IS BY DEFINITION,
LONG RACES OVER CHALLENGING TERRAIN!!  I USUALLY DON'T MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE
THIS BUT . . . YOU ARE FLAT WRONG!  PERIOD!

> Dan

Actually no, a long race over challenging terrain would be a trail race
and/or an ultra race. 12K is long for the track but not long in the context
of races over challenging terrain.

A cross country race is a medium distance over challenging terrain.  USATF
toyed with the idea of defining it as any off-road race of 15K or less, but
ended up with a more vague definition due to overlap between "short" trail
races and cross country.

- Ed Parrot