This reminds me of something. Here at CERN where I work we have had an
annual relay race (running) for teams of 6 around the 4 km site for the
past 30 years. About 20 years ago, the head of the Fire Brigade, who had
played some part in founding the race, retired and wanted to donate a cup.
Being a Frenchman and keen on cycle racing he proposed that the cup be won
by the first team to pass the Fire Brigade building.
  The first leg of the race is 1000 metres, of which the last 400 metres
is steep uphill. The Fire Brigade building was situated after 600 metres
of the race, that is at the start of the hill! Luckily we were able to
convince him that this was not a good idea for running, and the cup is
awarded instead to the leading team at the end of the first 1000 metres.
  I think basically the difference is that in cycling one can still
freewheel on at a reasonable speed and recover in the saddle, whereas in
an all-out effort in running one has to slow right down for a while, even
if this can be fairly short, as we have seen in the report of Lasse
Viren's interval 200 metre sessions. Also cyclists in a group gain much
more from shielding each other from the wind because of the higher speed
involved. In fact, I have read that even the leading cyclist in a group
has it easier than if he were alone, because of the aerodynamics of the
way in which the wind moves around the elongated line of riders (less
turbulence). This is why breaks by individual riders in cycling can be
pulled back more easily by the field, whereas in running the leader only
tends to come back if he really slows down (as in the latter stages of
marathons).
                                              David Dallman