Guy we are starting to get a little harsh here, the NCAA uses this system at the
indoor championships and they use it for the 400 outdoors.  If you look at it closely
you will see that most conference meets use the format as well.  Also look at the NCAA
results form the past few years, the first round of the 200 usually only gets rid of 2
or 3 guys and then there are several guys who end up running overt 21 seconds in the
semi.  There are a lot worse thing that they could do, and it isn't a done deal to my
knowledge, just a proposal.

>>> "Guy Oekerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/28/01 04:37PM >>>
Is this a situation where the 200m is not taken seriously as an event? Or
could it be that it attracts too many runners (100m going up + 400m going
down) for the NCAAs taste? Like provisional qualifying that allows the NCAA
to place a limit on the number of competitors in each event of a
championship meet, this seems to be one of those situations where "the man"
feels that he is more important than the athlete or the team.

The NCAA. I didn't like them when I ran. I don't like them as a fan.

Why doesn't the NCAA just hold a potato sack race to determine the
qualifiers in the 200m?

Guy
Guy Oekerman
Research Director . KWBP-TV (WB32)