I met Kurt Steiner when I was 19 and running my first marathon in New York in the late 60s. The next time I came to New York he remembered my name. Such is heady stuff for a teenager to go 200 miles from home and be recognized. I liked that so I kept training hard so I could come back.

Steiner had a habit at Boston for as many years as he could...like 20...to burst into the lead at the start and sprint as hard as he could to establish the seriousness of the race for those of all abilities. Short and stubby he ran full of optimism. He was never a fast runner but tried very hard which, of course, is all anyone can do. I return his recognition by telling of his habit in my Boston Marathon book...(page 240 in the second edition and again on page 340)...so maybe people like Kurt Steiner would come back to the sport.

(instead of young men who do not prepare and run 4 hour marathons and think they have accomplished something)

Tom Derderian