Randall:

I am sticking to what I know Randall. I've actually read the genetic and
scientific research on this. Your eye balls are not empirical research. Nor
do they reflect physiological differences.

A certain degree of upper body strength is very critical to do well. When
one talks about body type, it is within a range, like a Bell Curve
distribution. You are not likely to find a high concentration within that
range of great soccer body types in Kenya -- or from athletes who trace
their ancestry to the mountainous regions of North Africa, where the people
share a common ancestry with East Africans.

East Africans also have huge natural lung capacity, which tends to be
somewhat inefficient for the explosive speeds you need in many positions in
soccer. Plus, they have a preponderance of slow twitch muscle fibers, which
is not the best for attackers. That's just anatomical/physiological facts.

These facts are MOST CLEAR in sprinting, in which Kenyans are just not that
fast at 100 meters (10,28 best, pretty pathetic) although they get
progressively better as the distance increases, as more aerobic skills come
into play. Again, that's just fact based.

North African "flat landers," those who live and trace their ancestry to the
coast, are a much different genetic population than those from the
mountains. There is some interesting data on this, for instance, in
Cavalli-Sforza's "The History and Geography of Genes."

As for these being generalizations, OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT POPULATION
GENETICS IS. Are men taller than women? Of course. Is every man taller than
every woman? Of course not. Does finding a tall woman "prove" that men are
not, as a generalization, taller than most women? Of course not.

Do Kenyans have the body type and physiology to be great soccer players? No.
Is it possible that individual Kenyans may emerge who become great soccer
players? Of course. Would that mean that therefore Kenyan body type as a
generalization is ill-suited to elite success in that sport? Of course note.

The proof is in the science of body types and physiology which concurs with
the vast empirical data -- in this case, Kenyans are mediocre soocer players
and not very fast 100 meter runners.

On the other hand, we have carping and purely speculate "environmental"
theories that are laughed at by scientists and without much support from the
empirical evidence.

Sorry Randall..

--
Jon Entine