a scientist, would dispute.

> You haven't convince me, obviously.  Your arguments are too selective and
> countered by many others' observations.

Sigh...I'm not trying to convince you or anyone of anything other than than
this is an intriguing issue and has implications far beyond the world of
sports (it's the essence of what the Human Genome Project is about --
finding the genetic influence on phenotypes).

The only thing I can say with certainty is that facile explanations that
"training" or "diet" or "running to school" are enough to explain Kenyan
domination of endurance running -- from 800 meters to the marathon -- are
just that -- facile. The bio-cultural reality is more complex. That is what
I discuss in "Taboo" -- it's not a treatise trying to prove anything, it's
an attempt to understand the social and historical debate that is being
played out, frequently in comic fashion, on this list.

If I haven't convinced you of that reality, then so be it.

If you really believe that if Americans just walked more to school, ate the
right trail mix, trained in Aspen, and drank cow's milk, that they would be
champion runners, then god bless you....you have the makings of a flat-earth
Creationist!!

--
Jon Entine
RuffRun