> What if, Jon, 20 years from now Africans lose their depth and say the
> Japanese begin to dominate...then what? Will your findings still hold
true?
> What would the scientists of the early 20th century say about the Finnish
> runners now? They dominated so well, but then fell off the earth.

Well, in MY book. Boston Marathon history. I tell about the reactions to
American Indian runners, Canadian runners, Korean runners, Finnish runners,
Japanese, and even Americans. Always there was the opinions that "they" had
special advantages. The "if only" lament is very human. It is interesting to
see how things shift over 100 years. But no group had the domination of the
Kenyans at Boston. But no group had the big bucks of John Hancock pulling
them out of their home countries.

So let's get away from the cultural, the genetic, and maybe discuss the
economic angle here particularly that of sponsors and agents. Stuff that
wasn't around in the olden days. The last chapter of the second edition is
titled Secrets and Agents. Soon I have to write a third edition.

What do guys think of that?  $$$$$$$ but how exactly is the money driving
the sport? How do you make money, sell products and services. Follow the
money? Where does it come from and where does it go?

Tom Derderian