Has nothing to do with "finally seeing the light". Muscule fiber is just one
of those things, like height, that you can not change. You can train the
fibers to "act" more slow or fast twitch, but they are still what they are.
So in that sense, yes runners be it long distance or sprinters are born.
But, I think one would know right off where they fall in the fast/slow fiber
debate and unless they love finishing last they will not persue running that
is opposite what their bodies were made for. I don't think anyone would
argue that someone with 90% fast twitch can become a good long distance
runner. That simply can not happen. The same could be said about someone who
doesn't have the slightest genetic gift when it comes to running.

What I try to address is the grey area between top of the line runners
(World/Olympic medalists) and the Gallowalkers who really have no hope when
it comes to competitive running. What does it take to be competitive with
the world elite? When you are on top (World/Olympic medalists) you need it
all: genetics, training, luck, etc. But to win a few good races: Boston,
Falmouth, European Track, etc I think you can get by without a serious
genetic gift. It's only when you are racing THE VERY BEST that you lose out,
because the very best have it all.

I've seen very fast Kenyans, and I've seen very mediocre Kenyans. Not all
Kenyans are born to be world record holders. There are just more good
Kenyans, more great Kenyans, and more mediocre Kenyans for a number of
reasons...one being genetics. That still doesn't mean a smaller group of
Japanese, Americans, ect can not stand out amongst the Kenyans. It just
means that surrounding the 10 or 20 non-Kenyans will be 100 Kenyans. It's
just one of those rules of sports, like Chinese table tennis players or
Romanian gymnasts. Doesn't mean one should throw in the towel either. One
can still, with just a little genetic talent, become a very fast and very
good runner and win a lot of top level races. Just when it comes to the very
top of the mountain (Olympics, Worlds) they will most likely be beaten by
those who have it all: genetics, training, and luck.

Don't remember what the point of this post was. I guess I agree with Jon to
an extent.

Alan