On 5/25/01 2:33 PM, "alan tobin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has nothing to do with "finally seeing the light". Muscule fiber is just one
> of those things, like height, that you can not change.

And like basic physique, ability to process energy, etc., phenotypes that
are distributed differently in different populations as a result of
evolution

>You can train the
> fibers to "act" more slow or fast twitch, but they are still what they are.
> So in that sense, yes runners be it long distance or sprinters are born.
> But, I think one would know right off where they fall in the fast/slow fiber
> debate and unless they love finishing last they will not persue running that
> is opposite what their bodies were made for. I don't think anyone would
> argue that someone with 90% fast twitch can become a good long distance
> runner. That simply can not happen. The same could be said about someone who
> doesn't have the slightest genetic gift when it comes to running.
>
> What I try to address is the grey area between top of the line runners
> (World/Olympic medalists) and the Gallowalkers who really have no hope when
> it comes to competitive running. What does it take to be competitive with
> the world elite? When you are on top (World/Olympic medalists) you need it
> all: genetics, training, luck, etc. But to win a few good races: Boston,
> Falmouth, European Track, etc I think you can get by without a serious
> genetic gift. It's only when you are racing THE VERY BEST that you lose out,
> because the very best have it all.
>
> I've seen very fast Kenyans, and I've seen very mediocre Kenyans. Not all
> Kenyans are born to be world record holders. There are just more good
> Kenyans, more great Kenyans, and more mediocre Kenyans for a number of
> reasons...one being genetics. That still doesn't mean a smaller group of
> Japanese, Americans, ect can not stand out amongst the Kenyans.

Again, you are saying EXACTLY what basic science says, which is what I've
been reporting. Glad you finally see the light.

>It just
> means that surrounding the 10 or 20 non-Kenyans will be 100 Kenyans.

Another burst of light...
>It's
> just one of those rules of sports, like Chinese table tennis players or
> Romanian gymnasts. Doesn't mean one should throw in the towel either.

Wow, this is amazing. Again, we are on the exact same page.
>One
> can still, with just a little genetic talent, become a very fast and very
> good runner and win a lot of top level races.

Bizz. Wrong. No one with "just a little genetic talent" can "win a lot of
top level races." That's absolutely, provably, false. Those with just a
"little" natural talent will win little. Genetics proscribes capacity,
certainly not ability. But no matter how you slice and dice it, little still
translates into little. Mark McGwire has more than a little talent. He can
train till the end of time and never be a competitive distance runner.