>From: Ed & Dana Parrot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Hmm, so Webb runs approximately the equivalent of Morceli at a year younger
>(his split was low 3:38).  Maybe he'll only be as good as Morceli was. . .
>
>For Christ's sake, he ran 3:53, leading the U.S. list.  He did it >with as
>much hype and pressure as anyone has short of the Olympics.  >And yours is
>the first post I have seen in a while to suggest one way >or the other that
>U.S. distance running is back or that Webb is the >next great anything.
>Why bring it up?

i brought it up hoping to be pre-empted... basically it was great and it is
definately exciting... but that we shouldn't go overboard like we nornmally
do when there is a good US distance performance.

>What we had here was a tremendous moment for any fan of the sport in
>America. It was a pure, unabashed, breakthrough performance and I >feel
>sorry for anyone who feels the need to qualify it.  Webb might >never run
>that fast again but so what?

it matters because if he never runs that fast (or faster again) then it's
"shame". it matters because for US distance fortunes to improve we need a
group of people breaking through to balance out what the rest of the world
is putting up. one man alone will not be the savior. it would be like saying
US sprint dominance is back simply because Mo is the WC/Oly Champ, when the
truth of the matter is we'll probably never again dominate the way that we
once did.

>Usually I agree with Kebba, but to mitigate the joy of Webb's
> >accomplishment today (not in the past not in the future but NOW) that
> >with a disclaimer is
>a tragedy.
>- Ed Parrot

i understand what you mean. i just didn't want people to have unfair
expectations of the kid..

--Kebba