Ed,

I could not disagree more.  Here you make blanket statements with backing that amounts to something one might hear on talk radio.  Did you actually read the decision or any of the briefs?

>The problem with court decisions is that oince they are made, activists will "run with them" and, oif they go too far, iot takes another court case to correct the situation.

This is reactionary crap.  If the decision had gone the other way would "activists" run with it?  No.  How about we wait and see how other governing bodies react.  The entire reason this case got to the Supreme Court is because the PGA refused to objectively determine whether Casey Martin was permanently disabled and whether any accommodation could be made that did not fundamentally alter the game that would allow Martin to play.  The PGA bowed its back and refused to even hear Martin's case.  The PGA had the opportunity to handle this situation.  They chose not to.

>There are, of course, a number of ways in which it could affect track and field on all levels. The rules on stimulants, for example. Would they be allowed if an athlete could prove that they merely correct a "handicap." And that's just one example.

I am not sure what to make of the above statement.  This is an individual case with a very specific set of issues.  The Supreme Court upheld two thresholds that similar cases would have to meet.  1. Did the individual have a permanent disability? Not even the PGA contested that whether Martin had a disability covered by the ADA2. Did the governing body objectively determine whether or not any accommodation could be made for the individual without a fundamental change in the nature of the sport or the gaining of competitive advantage?  The Commissioner of the PGA refused to review Martin's request.

It was a porrly reasoned decision and I find it interesting and, for me heartening, that the only two negative votes came from justices whose educational background included a good bit of real logic

The other seven are just chopped liver who fell off a train one day and started sitting on the Supreme Court?

To call a golf pro a "customer" of the PGA is totally absurd. A customer pays a fee knowing what he is going to get and what he is not going to get. A professional golfer, if he indeed has to pay an entry fee, does it in the hope that his reward will be, and usually is, much greater than what he puts in.

This "customer or client" argument is one raised by the 9th Circuit Court of appeals.  The decision reads, "On appeal to the Ninth Circuit, petitioner did not challenge the District Courts rejection of its claim that it was exempt as a private club, but it renewed the contention that during a tournament the portion of the golf course behind the ropes is not a public accommodation because the public has no right to enter it. 204 F.3d 994, 997 (2000). The Court of Appeals viewed that contention as resting on the incorrect assumption that the competition among participants was not itself public. The court first pointed out that, as with a private university, the fact that users of a facility are highly selected does not mean that the facility cannot be a public accommodation. Id., at 998.18 In its opinion, the competition to enter the select circle of PGA TOUR and NIKE TOUR golfers was comparable because [a]ny member of the public who pays a $3000 entry fee and supplies two letters of recommendation may try out in the qualifying school. Id., at 999. The court saw no justification in reason or in the statute to draw a line beyond which the performance of athletes becomes so excellent that a competition restricted to their level deprives its situs of the character of a public accommodation. Ibid. Nor did it find a basis for distinguishing between use of a place of public accommodation for pleasure and use in the pursuit of a living. Ibid. Consequently, the Court of Appeals concluded that golf courses remain places of public accommodation during PGA tournaments. Ibid."

And that;s just one thing wrong with the reasoning, if you can call it that, of the majority which included members of the left, center and right of the court

So, in reality, the US Supreme Court did not actually come up with this reasoning on its own but rather concurred with the lower court's decision.

The decision and dissent aren't very long.  I would suggest that if you're interested you read them.  The PGA acted in an arrogant and boorish manner.  They got bit in the ass because of it.  The ADA requires that entities of public accommodation (something the PGA did not argue that it was not in the Supreme Court) must bear the burden of assessing individual cases.  First, the PGA did not do this.  Second, the decision continually states that fundamental rule changes should not be made to accommodate the disabled.  The US District Court, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the US Supreme Court all held that walking was not a fundamental rule of golf.

Respectfully Dissenting,

Ben

        I know it is a little late, but I would like to add my two cents as to what the Casey Martin decision might or might not mean to our sport.

        The problem with court decisions is that oince they are made, activists will "run with them" and, oif they go too far, iot takes another court case to correct the situation.

        There are, of course, a number of ways in which it could affect track and field on all levels. The rules on stimulants, for example. Would they be allowed if an athlete could prove that they merely correct a "handicap." And that's just one example.

        Would it be confined to the "professional" end of the sport? I doubt it. In factm, the HS sction might be the most vulnerable.

        It was a porrly reasoned decision and I find it interesting and, for me heartening, that the only two negative votes came from justices whose educational background included a good bit of real logic.

            To call a golf pro a "customer" of the PGA is totally absurd. A customer pays a fee knowing what he is going to get and what he is not going to get. A professional golfer, if he indeed has to pay an entry fee, does it in the hope that his reward will be, and usually is, much greater than what he puts in.

        And that;s just one thing wrong with the reasoning, if you can call it that, of the majority which included members of the left, center and right of the court/
                                                                Ed Grant