>I'm sure most of us will think of the record as "Webb's other HS record", and rightfully so since most of the credit for the final >time goes to him.  I agree that Richard Smith's 3:03 1200 was exceptional, but many teams could field a 50.2 400 runner and a >1:56 800 runner.

But could many teams field a 1:56 800m runner for their third best 800m runner?  A few could, perhaps, but not many.

I don't particularly care for medley relays, either, except for the "short" sprint medley - 100,100,200,400.  In that relay, handoffs become more important and while the 400m runner is obviously the most important, there's plenty of other variables.

- Ed Parrot