"... Webb was touched off too far behind to have a real shot at ..."

  Does this mean there are no batons to carry in the distance medley? I am
quite surprised. What about the shorter medleys? I would welcome some
clarification on this point, especially concerning ratification of records
of different types.
                                                David Dallman