Unless I've missed (i.e,deleted) some posts on this, no one seems to
address the obvious reason why it makes no sense for the whole field to run
a very slow pace.  Did every one of them really believe he had the fastest
kick?  Didn't some of them realize they could not win if it came down to a
last lap kick?   Why then didn't they try something, anything. Kuts like
surges, a fast last 4-5 laps. Anything but simply trot and inevitably get
outkicked. Sure they all finished close, but they also all know one another.
They know which of them can run 51 off that dawdling pace and which can't.
   I agree with those who find tactical races much more interesting than
rabbited races, but I also agree with those who find this sort of race
ridiculous - for the reason I just stated.
                             Geoff Pietsch