From: Robert Hersh [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:05:02 -0500
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: t-and-f: Chip timing in the Times.

Message text written by "Christopher Goss"

Bob H., I know that one of the troublesome issues with chip timing is the
placement of the device on the foot rather than the sternum of the chest.
Have the rulemakers considered changing this definition for non-laned or
distance races?  Or is the thought that chest-mounted technology (under
development, I understand) is not that far away and that a change in the
definition of the timed part of the body is not necessary?  Maybe this
concept of runner identification and tracking is not even under serious
consideration.  I would be interested in hearing what the committees are
thinking.<

I don't think we've looked at this recently.  You're right--there is
definitely an issue about the fact that we judge by the front of the torso,
but the chips are on the foot.  I haven't heard about the possibility of
chest-mounted chips.  If we changed the definition of the finish to count
only the foot with the chip on it, you might get some very strange (and
possibly dangerous) behavior by runners seeking an edge at the finish of a
close race.  Just think about it.

Bob H

(By the way, I did spell my name correctly for the guy who wrote the story.
 Somewhere between my lips and the ink on the pages of the NYT, it got
screwed up.)

http://mail2web.com/ .