In a message dated 12/4/01 7:27:22 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>The bad news is that the IAAF may stiffen the "A" and "B" qualifying
>standards in keeping with their current direction of reducing the size
>of
>Olympic fields.

If there's one event that can handle increased fields, w/o causing additional
rounds, heats etc, it's the marathon. In fact, recent editions of the OG & WC
races have had pretty slim starting fields, and with the trend towards DNFing
(If I can't place, I think I'll bag it and make some $$$ in a fall marathon)
the finish rate is even lower.

Why not drop synchro-swimming or rhythmic gymnastics if the IOC is worried
about burgeoning athlete's villages?

Jim Gerweck
Running Times