In a message dated 12/06/01 07:02:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I don't understand this discussion.  And I also don't understand the logic
behind USATFs decision making process.  Why aren't the standards for the
marathon the same for track?  Top 3 go... assuming they have the A standard.

Because the marathon is different from (most of) the track race in two very
important ways. One is the number of times in which you can run the race in
the qualifying period. While a marathoner might be limited to 3-4 A-standard
races in a two-year period, a 100m guy, in theory, could go out and run a
couple a day literally every day.

The other difference is that in no other event do the course and the weather
mean so much. Running a hot-weather OT marathon is akin to running all the OT
track 10Ks at high altitude, say like Colorado Springs. No American would be
likely ever to get an A standard there either.

gh