> Of course, the reality is that my statements are almost certainly too
> late.  I had hoped that the USATF had come to it senses, but I can see
that
> it had not.  I doubt seriously that they could withdraw the awards and
> solicit applications from appropriate locations.

I will keep beating this dead horse until people get it - The "USATF" that
made the decision consists of a couple of elected officials and a bunch of
volunteers.  They solicited input from the athletes.  On the women's side
they got (I think) 14 bids, 4 of which were close to having everything they
were asking for.  None of those 4 bids were among the half a dozen places in
the country where the weather is 80-90% likely to be perfect.  As someone
posted, the athletes actually had some strong sentiment NOT to do what you
are suggesting and to find a course and date that mirrors the Olympics.
Prize money was clearly a top priority.  The athletes also support the
concept of the winner of the trials going.

If by "come to its senses" you mean ignore the wishes of the athletes, you
will find yourself in a minority position, not to mention one that would be
difficult to defend relative to the Amateur Sports Act if push came to
shove.  I think USATF would have welcomed a bid from California that met the
requirements of the athletes, but none was forthcoming.  Nor do I recall any
of the critics volunteering to organize the kind of "USATF-sponsored" race
that might be fast enough - certainly those of us involved already do not
have the time nor inclination to do it when we had some bids that were
perfectly acceptable to most people.

In fairness to Richard, I want to note that he has volunteered to help
Pacific/USATF with LDR-related things, so my comments don't completely
pertain to him.  I can accept that "USATF" will be a target no matter what
decisions are made.  I myself have lit into Craig, the national office, and
others in the past when there was foot-dragging or the appearance of
dishonesty.  After a week in Mobile, I can say that I believe the law and
legislation process within USATF is not adequate for a professional
organization.  But here we have a case of an open process soliciting the
input of many people.  Those who don't like it should GET INVOLVED!  That's
what democracy is.

This is not the U.S. Congress where it takes money and years of influence to
accomplish anything.  The LDR side of USATF would love to have more
volunteers and would welcome them with open arms.  If someone comes in
willing to actually do stuff rather than just complain, they will get
somewhere.  How about some volunteers to tackle what I suspect is the real
issue with our distance performances - poor habits, guidance, and attitude
among possble distance runners between the ages of 7 and 20?

- Ed Parrot