Dear Listers,

I was just reading the NJ Star Ledger and they had a story about how the lap
counter at a meet did not ring the bell lap provoking the anchor leg on a HS
DMR to run an extra lap. His 4-lap split was 4:23, and he was very annoyed
that had the bell rang, he could've sprinted and maybe his team had a chance
at the meet record (which they missed by mere seconds). I get very angry when
things like this happens because the officials are there for a particular
reason and they fail to (at times) realize it. In AAU competiton last year, I
witnessed an official stop 3 consecutive 3,000m races a lap short! I can
understand one, but 3!! He even went over to one of the participants, who was
now at a water cooler, and informed her that she had an additional lap! What
if she didn't advance? Another example occurred an indoor county meet in NJ,
where the official physically prevented the runners from exchanging the baton
and attempted to make them run an extra lap. Officials, pay attention to the
track, PLEASE!!

Larry A. Morgan, Sr.
Elizabeth Heat TC