At 09:37 PM 12/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Dave Johnson wrote:
>
> > At 5:01 PM -0500 31.12.2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >Dear Listers,
> > >
> > >I was just reading the NJ Star Ledger and they had a story about how
> the lap
> > >counter at a meet did not ring the bell lap provoking the anchor leg
> on a HS
> > >DMR to run an extra lap. His 4-lap split was 4:23, and he was very annoyed
> > >that had the bell rang, he could've sprinted and maybe his team had a
> chance
> > >at the meet record (which they missed by mere seconds). I get very
> angry when
> > >things like this happens because the officials are there for a particular
> > >reason and they fail to (at times) realize it. In AAU competiton last
> year, I
> > >witnessed an official stop 3 consecutive 3,000m races a lap short! I can
> > >understand one, but 3!! He even went over to one of the participants,
> who was
> > >now at a water cooler, and informed her that she had an additional
> lap! What
> > >if she didn't advance? Another example occurred an indoor county meet
> in NJ,
> > >where the official physically prevented the runners from exchanging
> the baton
> > >and attempted to make them run an extra lap. Officials, pay attention
> to the
> > >track, PLEASE!!
> > >

> > >Larry A. Morgan, Sr.
> > >Elizabeth Heat TC
> >
> > ========
> >
> > As much as I sympathize with your identification of incompetency, I issue
> > one warning:  the only way to ultimately take care of the lap counting
> > problem you identify is to become a lap counter yourself.  I'm sure you can
> > claim that you already spend enough time coaching, but there are many
> > coaches who also officiate.  And I've seen an awful lot of coaches who
> > screwed up royally and then look for every whichway out of the pickle
> > they've created by and for themselves.  Don't get me wrong, meet directors,
> > administrators, athletes and spectators (have I left anyone out?) screw up
> > too.  Just try watching a mile (or 1600m for Walt Murphy's sake) in their
> > shoes.
> >
> > Dave Johnson
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>I realize that another point is being made here but I was just told a few
>weeks
>ago that coaches are not allowed to officiate in Canada. I don't know if
>there are
>similar rules in the US.
>Regards,
>

>Martin

In the far eastern provinces of Canada, NB & NS in particular , almost all
meets HAVE coaches officiating. Most meets would not even take place
without the help of a coach or two with a tape measure , clipboard , stop
watch or as the meet director.

Peter Stuart
Head Coach South-East Athletics
Head Coach NB Canada Games
Coach,Field Events, Universitie de Moncton
NB Coaching Chair
Master Course Conductor
NB CSG web page http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/stuart/