Yegorova not 'family friendly' enough for French event

Agence France-Presse

LIEVEN, France (February 21, 2002 02:12 PM EST) - The controversial
Russian distance runner Olga Yegorova has not been invited to run in
Sunday's indoor athletics meeting because she failed to meet the
organizers' "family-friendly" criteria.

Yegorova was banned last year after testing positive for the banned
endurance-boosting substance EPO, but was reinstated on a technicality
and went on to win the world 5,000-meter outdoor title in Edmonton,
Canada.

But Gerard Fremaux, the organizer of the Lieven meeting - one of the
leading indoor events - said Thursday he was not prepared to let
athletes who had been involved in doping take part in his event.

"Yegorova was on a list of around 25 athletes submitted to me by her
manager for inclusion in the meeting," said Fremaux. "I chose around
five athletes and Yegorova was not one of them.

"We want a meeting that will be educational and there will be a lot of
children here, so I don't want athletes who have had doping problems."

Yegorova was beaten into second place by Ethiopia's Berhane Adere in her
first race of the year in Stuttgart earlier this month, as the Ethiopian
set a new 3,000 indoor world record of 8 minutes, 29.15 seconds.