It was also in Seoul, Korea when the Koreans paid off the judges to pick
their man as the winner over Roy Jones in a bout where Jones out punched and
landed punches five to one over the Korean!  Then they voted Roy Jones as
the outstanding boxer of the Olympics to try to make up for their blatant
cheating!  They must have very short memories!  Don't throw stones when you
live in a glass house, someone might just throw them back at you!

Overall, I thought the judging in Salt Lake City was pretty consistent
except in the case of the Canadian pair and the Russian skater Irina
Slutskaya (sp?).  The Canadians were robbed of the gold (later presented);
the Russian pair should have gotten silver not gold; and Irina should have
gotten bronze instead of silver.  I noted a number of mistakes during her
program which should have been deductions, but weren't deducted from her
totals.

As Dan said, "Rules are rules, whether or not we agree with them."  Some try
to bend them in their favor.  Unfortunately, politics and partisanship have
been a part of the Olympics since the original Greeks started them.  It
would be nice to see them totally eliminated, but until improved methods of
judging are developed and implemented, we will still have problems,
hopefully to a much lesser degree than at Salt Lake City.  I'm
optimistically sure that a better system of judging will be used by the time
of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Italy.

Gerald Woodward