The origin this series of posts was not not bash high school coaches or
coaching.  My intention is to acknowledge that no matter how much we try,
things still happen.  My contention is that there needs to be a general
raising of the standard for those getting into coaching.  Yes, there are great
high school coaches still working with athletes, but can't there be a stronger
emphasis on providing those at the grass roots level educational opportunities
to improve their skills or give them the basic skills to coach.

Certainly, equipment and coaching has improved.  Yes, the young man at Penn
State was an accomplished athlete who had quality coaching.  Accidents do
happen and coaching or the lack of it is not always to blame.  The basic fact
remains: Coaching needs to be improved at all levels.

Trey Jackson