A couple of additions to what Phil said below about the Boston Marathon.
Benoit won in 1983 not 1982. Her 2:22:43 placed 121st overall. By 1995 that
time would have placed 29th and been first American. I don't have time to
count how many Americans beat Benoit in 1983 but it was over 100. Does that
mean that since then title IX has ruined men's running? And failed to bring
up women's running? Or is there no cause and effect in these interesting
numbers? Or is the cause something else?
Tom Derderian, who wrote the book on the Boston Marathon