>It is supposedly made to address anemia in Kidney dialysis patients rather
>than cancer patients.  How anemia, and stimulating the production of RBC's,
>in each case differs is beyond me right now.

The new stuff (Darbepoetin) is a slight modification of good old EPO.  It
has the same protein backbone as EPO but with modified sugars attached to it
- designed to increase its "hang time" in the blood so that it doesn't have
to be given so often.

It seems to me that this modification would make it much easier to test for,
as those skiers in Salt Lake City found out to their regret, because it is
no longer identical to the natural endogenous substance.  This "same as
natural" characteristic, while wonderful for clinical uses, has hampered the
development of effective tests that can distinguish the EPO your kidneys
made from the EPO you bought at the gym.

Both drugs are approved to treat dialysis anemia, and Darbepoetin is also
approved for cancer treatment induced anemia, although EPO has also been
used "off label" for that for a long time.

>local newspaper.  It stated in no uncertain terms that Amgen had fully
>developed EPO "by 1983".  It made no mention of when it was available as a
>prescription drug

This is an error by your newspaper (error in a newspaper?  Shocking!).  EPO
could not possibly have been fully developed by 1983 nor even could it even
have been available "underground" back then, because the gene from which all
this recombinant EPO is made was not discovered until 1985.  It's all
documented in the scientific literature if you care to look.

EPO did not become widely available in the US until it was approved by the
FDA which was on June 1st, 1989.  Between 1985 and 1989 there was only stuff
available for clinical trials and whatever might have been stolen out of
labs for dishonorable purposes.

Kurt Bray