>     Oh and I LOVE this one.  If you go to a meet and the host school
doesn't have an event facility that is safe all the coaches can get together
>and declare the event over before it starts.   All the team points will be
divided equally between all competitors except the host school which >gets
nothing.

That has been a rule in Massachusetts for a long time - several decades.  It
is primarily for the high jump and pole vault.  I had to exercise this rule
a couple times when I was coaching 10 years ago.  In one case, the pole
vault standards were bent about 3 feet inward so that many kids hit them on
the way up.  In another, they only had two of the three high jump pads and I
refused my team's participation when a jumper in a warmup (from the other
team as I recall) flew cleanly over the pads without even brushing the it.
In both cases, the opposing coach did not complain at all and in fact
apologized profusely.

I think this rule makes good sense.  I am NOT convinced that all the new
"safety" rules from the past few years are a good idea - the fact that a
school with a small budget can no longer have a 160 lb vaulter hold 2 feet
down on a 15' pole rated at 150 lbs is absurd.

- Ed Parrot