I am a track coach in Louisisana and have a question concerning the
seeding of races at our State meet.
I know that with an eight lane track, sprints should be seeded
4-5-3-6-2-7-1-8.
Our State meet is run at LSU with a nine lane track. All sprints are
seeded
5-6-4-7-3-8-2-9-1.  I think it should be 5-4-6-3-7-2-8-1-9.
On a track with an even number of lanes, the fastest runner is always
seeded to be "looking" at the second fastest runner.  Our seeding throws
that out the window. The fastest is in the middle, but the second
fastest is seeded INSIDE of the fastest--I submit, a distinct advantage
to chase your best adversary.  The 5-4-6-3-7-2-8-1-9 seeding is the
default seetings in the Hy-Tek program which is used at our State meet.
Worse yet, the 800 m. run is seeded 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9.
What are some of the other states running?

Jay Stuckey
Sumner High School
Kentwood, Louisiana