What a great story!

It appears to me like a power struggle of who will control this young runner and
her running.  It looks as if an attempt to compromise on the part of the father
was put forth, and the "blame" in this situation may be with the high school
program.

Although I realize the importance of team unity and fairness in a high school
program, there should always room to negotiate when it comes to individual's
needs.  I'm sure it's not really fair that some runners are more talented than
others, or that some train in the summers while others choose not to.  Life in
high school sports is not really "fair" in that all do not do the same, even in
regards to workouts.

For a high school coach to be determined to control all aspects of this runners
training and racing options just doesn't seem to be "fair" for the individual in
what is also an individual sport.

Reach a compromise and let the girl run on the team.  She's agreed to five meets
on the schedule.  I've seen worse with girl basketball players doing two sports
during the same season.

Bill Brist