I can really see both sides to this debate. Recently, my alma mater
had a great coach, a 14-minute 5K guy who was devoted to the sport
and knew what he was doing. But back when I was running -- on my
school's first-ever XC team -- we had a football coach assigned to us
who didn't know the first thing about running. Thankfully, he didn't
lift a finger to coach us, and just drove the bus. I coached myself.
If he had actually tried to train us, I cringe to think what might
have happened.

On the other hand, a coach who actually knows what he's doing -- in
any sport -- needs to have control of the team. I've actually seen a
good football coach get fired because the son of a powerful athletic
booster didn't get enough playing time.

Ultimately, the proper thing has happened for the girl in the story
-- if she expects to be treated different from the team, then she
shouldn't be on the team.

Lee

--
Lee Nichols