--- Jonas Mureika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wind effects are not something you can train to overcome, and are not
> something that a proper warmup will help you to avoid.  I don't have to
> go out and determine how each athlete will react differently to them,
> because I know that they will each experience a drag force proportional
> to their velocities and cross-sectional areas (which are *not* different
> enough from one sprinter to another to change the calculations).

It's a good thing you are so certain of what you know, otherwise you might
feel compelled to question the conclusions...  Care to explain away the
situation I offered where an athlete might alter their drive phase in
order to minimize wind resistance?  If done properly, this could easily
account for 40% of the race, which I would say is pretty darn significant.

(For anyone wondering, a headwind would actually make it easier to
maintain a longer drive phase, as it would keep you from falling forward.)

On the flip side, a tall and/or wide sprinter might transition earlier and
run taller in order to take advantage of a tailwind.  Someone with good
knee extension will also be likely to benefit more from the added
extension to their stride.

> Being a physics professor, I frequently get upset by the argument that
> "wind affects are different for each sprinter", because this is the same
> as saying "Some high jumpers excel more than others because they are
> better at overcoming gravity"...

I hope you don't really see those as being the same???

Dan

=====
http://AccountBiller.com - MyCalendar, D-Man, ReSearch, etc.
http://Run-Down.com - 10,000 Running Links, Fantasy T&F