gh,

To quote, well, me (from a journal article):

  "Americans Leonard Scott and William Snoddy have posted marks of 9.83s
  (+7.1m/s) and 9.87s (+11.2m/s) respectively, yet neither has ever run
  another such remarkable time. Using the corrections for world class
  races, Snoddy's 9.87s would correct at least to a pedestrian 10.21s,
  while Scott's clocking would round to about 10.12s..."

That's why we should have correction techniques.  It may not be seen as
fair to some, but it's probably just as fair as lumping a +2.0m/s Mexico
City race with a -4.0m/s Athens race.. or a +2.0m/s 9.78 WR with a +0.1m/s
9.79WR.

                                        J.