>That is not accurate, I am afraid. Every Tour De France winner is
held in
        >high appreciated and a multiple winner - all the more.

        >UG

        Maybe the American media likes to play up the put-upon Yankee angle,
but over and over again we read about French fans screaming "Dopay, dopay!"
(doped, doped) at him. He was the subject of an apparently baseless drug
investigation by French police that went on for a year and a half and found
zero evidence. The French media is constantly writing headlines insinuating
he is on drugs despite nothing to back that up.

        Then, after completely dominating their national event for the
fourth year in a row, he finishes ninth in their athlete of the year voting.

        I was under the impression, however, that the French did appreciate
LeMond, partly because he was on a French team.