        From: Bill Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent: Sat 1/4/2003 12:16 PM
        To: Valerie Manning; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: t-and-f: The best non-Olympian and a new category

            With the nominations we currently have before us, I'd vote for Fonville,
        Varoff, Dodds and Williams in about that order.
            Now, how about Olympians who rise to the occasion?  That is, athletes
        who, either not sure bets or wholly unexpected, come along every four years
        and make the team.  I think George Mattos (pole vault, 1952 and 1956) is the
        clear winner in this category.  Randy Williams (1972 and 1976) and Frank
        Wykoff (three times, 1928, 1932 and 1936) are contenders. (Multiple-year
        qualifiers such as Oerter and O'Brien, not to mention Lewis, were sure bets
        or too close to sure bets to be eligible for this category.)

           Bill Allen