From: Bill Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 10:17 AM
To: Valerie Manning; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: t-and-f: The best non-Olympian and a new category

    With the nominations we currently have before us, I'd vote for Fonville,
Varoff, Dodds and Williams in about that order.
    Now, how about Olympians who rise to the occasion?  That is, athletes
who, either not sure bets or wholly unexpected, come along every four years
and make the team.  I think George Mattos (pole vault, 1952 and 1956) is the
clear winner in this category.  Randy Williams (1972 and 1976) and Frank
Wykoff (three times, 1928, 1932 and 1936) are contenders. (Multiple-year
qualifiers such as Oerter and O'Brien, not to mention Lewis, were sure bets
or too close to sure bets to be eligible for this category.)

   Bill Allen