I replied in private to Steve, but I see his response was also addressed
to the list, so I will repeat my question to him.  Should I be familiar
with the Philly Phanatic?  I'm guessing baseball?

At any rate, my point still stands about first having to show that mascots
(any mascot, let alone a butt ugly one) have a *positive* effect on
finances.  I know a lot of people will point to the Big 3 pro sports and
their heavy use of mascots, but I'm not so sure that's a valid argument.
Staying close to home, look at the Portland Trail Blazers.  They have gone
years without a mascot (they had some hill billy sasquatch thing back in
the 80's that I'm not sure would count as a mascot), yet they've been
among the most profitable NBA franchises and last I saw were something
like the 2nd or 3rd most profitable franchise in all of pro sports.  (As
an aside, this is yet one more reason why I believe most journalists are
non-thought capable idiots.  They love to harp on the Blazers huge
payroll, but they never bother to mention that they typically earn more
money on that investment than teams with half the payroll.  Simple
arithmetic.)  Going a step further, the Blazers decided to add a mascot --
a very ugly and heavily ridiculed one, no less -- and this has become
easily the worst year in franchise history in terms of public perception.
Obviously that is not all due to the mascot, but you can certainly make a
strong case that stop gap measures which by themselves offer nothing
positive certainly do not help to cover up a bad situation.
Unfortunately, that sounds very similar to what USATF is attempting to do
in a "no financial cost" endeavor.

Dan

=====
http://AccountBiller.com - MyCalendar, D-Man, ReSearch, etc.