Make it one season and I would agree. You can't have people missing say September (after the big meets), October, November, December, January, February and then returning. That is unless you tie their legs together when banned and prevent them from training!
But if someone is caught in May in the USA, missed the whole of the season and someone caught in September missed the whole of next. Then, of course, you'd hit those who were caught in mid-season. They would then go to law.
But there must be some formula whereby an athlete misses a certain number of weeks of the season (whichever it might be) for drug offences.
And I also agree, second time and you are out. But won't that then lead to more second time court cases?
First time I had sex five times and drank eight bottles of beer (it might have been the other way round but which ever it was it was an impressive evening's entertainment) the second time someone spiked my beer and I had sex 25 times! You can see my argument.
Randall Northam