I'd venture to guess that NY State gets considerable tourism revenue from
the families, friends, and athletes while they're in town AND might even
have enough foresight to think that by getting those kids to NYC at an
impressionable age there will be many more dollars to follow from these
same people.  Not to mention they goodwill they create.  Don't forget
there will be NY athletes travelling to out-of-state meets in the not to
distant future.

But I guess those are silly arguments since you're out 18% extra on your
property taxes.  FYI- property taxes in the City of Atlanta were raised
42% last year.  $30k.  You're worried about $30k of the state budget?
Really, pick something a little more significant to bitch about.