Instead of stepping on the starting line in Norman, Okla., Friday night to run 10,000
meters against Big 12 competition in what would likely be no more than a hard workout,
CU junior Dathan Ritzenhein will be in Palo Alto, Calif., to run 10K against the best
Americans in a race that should be as competitive as this summer's Olympic trials.

With the backing of associate athletic director Chris May â head track coach Mark
Wetmore's boss â "Ritz" is getting the chance to go for the Olympic "A" standard of
27:49 at the Cardinal Invitational, one of the best meets for distance runners in the
country. It will be Ritzenhein's first track 10,000 meters ever and will give he and
Wetmore a feel for what event Ritzenhein should run at the Olympic trials in July.

"I feel ready and am excited to do my first one," Ritzenhein said. "There should be
some good post-collegiate guys in there."

Indeed there will be. Start with American 10,000 meter record holder Meb Keflezighi,
who is expected to follow pacers in an attempt to break his own record. Bob Kennedy,
the U.S. record holder for 5,000 meters will also be there, as well as Dan Browne,
Abdi Abdirahim, Weldon Johnson and Brad Hauser. Boulder's Justin Young is also in the
field and could surprise fans.

Full article:
http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/running/article/0,1713,BDC_2413_2846220,00.html

Buff men, women set for Big 12 meet

CU's Metivier should be favored in 2 events

http://mas.scripps.com/BDC/2004/04/29/0429meti_e.jpg
CU's Renee Metivier has one of the nation's top collegiate marks in the 5,000 this
year.

By Michael Sandrock, For the Camera
April 29, 2004

Renee Metivier has just one complaint about her time at the University of Colorado _
she wishes she had started here a couple of years ago.

As it is, Metivier has made a big mark in a short time at CU. Since transferring from
Georgia Tech and joining the cross country team last August, Metivier has progressed
to the point where she is one of the favorites in the Big 12 Track and Field
Championships that start today at the University of Oklahoma's John Jacobs Field.

Full article:
http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/cu_track_field/article/0,1713,BDC_2458_2846219,00.html

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."
Patrick Henry

Sign up for a 6mb FREE email from
http://www.spl.at
Join the buzz, chat with us!